Padula

Padula stands on a hill, 700 meters high among the peaks of the Serra Longa (1,053 meters) and the Forest Refuge on Monti della Maddalena (1075 meters) at the south eastern Vallo di Diano.
The territory of Padula includes interesting architectural sites, woods beyond the famous Certosa.

 

     


Shortly before coming to Padula, there is an interesting site of "Fonti" at the foot of the limestone slopes of Serre di San Leonardo, where there are the ruins of a major early Christian baptistery. Particularly this building, which dates from the end of the fourth century d. C, has the unique characteristic of a baptismal font that was not filled at the time of the rite, but that was powered by a perennial source.
Of the Historic Center of Padula should be mentioned in particular the Church of St. Michele (which holds some ancient scrolls of exceptional interest), the Church of Annunziata (where the Ossuary of the fourteenth of Pisacane), the Palazzo Romano (eighteenth century), the birthplace of Joe Petrosino, the square and the buildings of the medieval village, where was the portal of entry to the Palace Distaso, also known as Palazzetto Sanseverino. (News taken from the website of the City of Padula). To visit the shrine to rock San Michele.


The Charterhouse of Padula.

 

  

 

Certosa of Padula, also known as Certosa of San Lorenzo, is among the largest and most famous "certosa" existing in Italy.
It has been declared World Heritage by UNESCO. It was founded by Tommaso San Severino in 1306 on the site of an existing monastery and is dedicated to San Lorenzo.
The main part of the Certosa is in baroque style and occupies an area of 50,500 sq meters of which are built more than 320 rooms. The monastery has the largest cloister of the world (about 12,000 meters) and is surrounded by 84 columns. A large spiral staircase, white marble, leading to large library of the convent.

 

  

 


The rule carthusians who preaches work and contemplation; Certosa exist in different places for their implementation: the quiet cloister, the library with the floor covered with ceramic tiles from Vietri sul Mare, the chapel decorated with precious marbles, the big kitchen where, legend tells, was an omelette prepared 1,000 eggs to Charles V, the big wineries with huge barrels, laundry facilities and the fields where neighbors were the fruits of cultivated land to the livelihoods of the monks as well as for marketing with the outside world. The monks produced wine, olive oil, fruits and vegetables. Today the Certosa houses the archaeological museum of Lucania, which collects a collection of finds from excavations of the necropolis of Pathhead and Padula. This museum covers a period from prehistoric times into the Hellenistic.

 

Search Hotels, B&B, Holiday Home, Farmhouse in Padula


 

Advises us